Growing older

on Posted by Rajesh J Advani
Labels:
I was just updating my sulekha profile, when I realised that the bit that asked my age group was out of date. As of a little over two weeks ago, I'm no longer in the 18-25 bracket. As I was selecting the next available group, the one that said 26-35, something hit me. Twenty-six, to Thirty Five!. Thirty-five!

Suddenly the feeling that's been slowly creeping over me during the past few months tightened it's grip. Suddenly, I felt old.
I mean, it starts becoming apparent when almost all your friends are either engaged or married. You get hints like noticing grey hair in that - until now - pure black mane on your head. Kids under 14 call you Uncle. Hell, sometimes kids over 15 call you Uncle too. And people who graduated with you, start having kids.

But you tend to ignore the feeling until something really minor brings your attention to it. And it's never easy I guess. This is the first day of the rest of my life, all right. The rest of my life as an old man.

Brrrrrrr! Shudder to even think about it.

Then, just as suddenly, a part of me woke up and said, "Old? What old? Can an old man do a handstand?"
And just to prove it, I did one. Or rather, attempted to do one.

And came crashing down to earth. Thank Goodness I only tried this on my bed. My bones aren't that strong anymore...

0 comments: