Coffee?

on Posted by Rajesh J Advani
Labels:
"Coffee?" I asked.

"Sure," she replied.

We'd never met. In person, that is. We'd met online two weeks ago. What had started out as a one line email, had turned into chatting on various instant messengers from both office and home, for hours everyday.

"But where?" she asked, after a pause.

"Any place that's convenient for you, I guess."

"Hmmm," she replied, as if thinking aloud. "Ok. Seven thirty?"

"Done," I said. An hour. "Where'll you be?"

"Remember that place I told you about that's right next to the park?"

"Sounds good."

I logged off, and headed for the shower.

We'd both bought new laptops recently and that had been the thing we'd first started talking about. But we'd soon switched to everything else, like ourselves, our lives, our likes, our dislikes, movies, music, books and even the weather!

As I dried my hair, I thought about what I was going to do. I was a little nervous. After all, I had never done something like this before. It felt quite strange, really.

I chose a simple white-t-shirt and my light blue jeans. The shirt needed ironing. I checked my watch. I still had half an hour.

Once I was ready, I picked up my laptop bag, and walked to my car.

My friends had told me everyone was doing it these days, but that didn't take my mind off the fact that I knew I was doing something that I considered just a little... weird. I mean I'd known her for barely two weeks. And, a coffee shop? It just felt a little... different.

I had to park a little way away from the coffee shop. Parking was always a problem there in the evening. I was glad I had decided to leave a few minutes early.

I chose my table, sat down, and started setting up my laptop. It was 7:29 when I got my Instant Messenger window open. She wasn't there yet. A few seconds later, she came online, and her message window popped up. "Hi!" she said.

"Hi," I replied. "Just reached?"

"Yep," she said. "So what are you ordering?"

"A Mocha Malt, I think. You?"

"Oh, Espresso with whipped cream. So how's the weather there in Orlando?"

"It's beautiful. Not too sunny, not too cold. Just right. What about LA?"

"Oh, it's pretty good here too. It was a little hot in the morning, but then it rained in the afternoon, and so it's much more comfortable now."

":)" I replied.

I could really get used to this Wi-Fi thing.

3 comments:

M said...

:)

Nice one.

Anonymous said...

Short and really really sweet....

U have a future in writing...

Priti(ur friend with braces !!!)

Kiran said...

determined to read all your posts, but am also getting jealous. Seeing the amount of visits and page loads :-)

Just kidding, compile all these into a short book. I mean it.