Plagiarism

on Posted by Rajesh J Advani
Labels:
You know what really ticks me off?

Just think about it. I write a story. I mean I sit down, spend a lot of time putting words together, and come up with a love story. Then I go back and read it and change a few things. And then a few more. Show a draft to a couple of friends to get an idea about how it is. Maybe change it a little more. Try to save it as a private draft on an online magazine. Have trouble doing that and it reaches the editor. She asks me if she can publish it in a few days. I am flattered, and put another day of effort in tweaking the story to remove the last few kinks. Only then do I submit it.
It's like a labour of love. It's like putting a part of yourself in what you see as your own creation.
I don't even get paid for it. But people read it, like it, and know that I wrote it. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. It's the only thing I get, but it's enough.

What ticks me off, and I mean really really ticks me off, is when people start forwarding the thing all around without my name on it, and then publish it all over, without any credit to me whatsoever. I do a Google search with the first few words - the title of the story has been lost too - and find that it's been put up on a number of sites. And you know the worst thing? Google says "we have omitted some entries very similar to the 5 already displayed" and omits my version!

If you don't believe me, try doing a google search on "it was a lovely december morning"

I can't even get angry at people who put up Just Another Love Story saying it's by an anonymous writer, because what do they know? But some people actually say that they wrote it!

I shudder to think what I'll get if I do a search for some of my other stuff online.

.
.
.

Ok. I succumbed. I searched for Rants Of A Single Guy too. It's posing as "I am a nice guy" at http://www.hubpubngrub.com/ with an average score of 4.75 out of 5...

Sometimes makes me want to stop writing forever...

Follow Up: It's not just me - A whole blog, copied

2 comments:

DS said...

Hey i can really understand your feelings.
:-(
In fact, i had even come across "Rants of a single guy"(that was FUNNY by the way) myself .It was forwarded to me.
Was pleasantly surprised to know that you wrote it-i figured it out only after seeing your blog.


So, isn't there anything you can do to stop this?

Anonymous said...

I don't think you can do anything to stop it. It's tough world pal, dog eats dog. But still you can feel happy that the story reaches to a large number of readers and are praised,though your name is not associated. "Let the truth prevail."